Monday, July 28, 2008

Hopping Back on the Knitting Bandwagon

Once summer kicked in, my knitting was suddenly put on hold. It's just not as easy to knit in 90-degree weather. My hands get sweaty, the yarn sticks to the needles - it's an awful mess. Unless the air conditioning is on full blast, I have no business picking up needles and yarn. I did however, find a small retreat under the wings of the ceiling fan in my dining room. Turns out it's the only place in the apartment where I can knit comfortably in 90+ temperatures.


With that said, I've started working on my 3rd pair of booties. I'm making it for a couple who I think can truly appreciate funky and wild color combinations. I came across these two yarns and thought, Eureka! This is what I'm looking for!

Together they didn't look so good, so I decided to combine the green with an orange yarn I recently purchased. Sounds funky, sounds groovy. I did one bootie but now I'm not sure if I'm feelin' it. It looks a little crazy, but not the crazy I was going for. But who knows...maybe it works, and I just don't realize it. What do you think? (I haven't seamed it up completely, so you'll still see some random yarn hanging out.)



I'm also in the middle of knitting a cushion. I started it about a month or so ago and as I continued to knit, I realized it was too big. I didn't get too far, only about 10-15 rows, but still enough to feel some pain at the thought of unravelling what I had started. I had to accept my failure, unravel, and start over. I started this weekend and hopefully all will go well. Inspiration for the cushion came from a "Jennifer's Sofa" subway ad. There was a striped cushion made of fabric and I thought...hmmm, I can probably make a knit version of that.


Cushion from the ad

Cushion from the ad (close-up)


In the meantime, I've got plenty of knitting to do and..OH! I almost forgot. Some lady on craig's list was selling a ton of yarn for $1 a skein. ONE DOLLAR! Nice stuff too! So of course I jumped on it and bought 22 skeins. About 5 different kinds. Fun! Fun! Fun! I don't know what I'm going to make with all of it, though. The hubby wants me to make a bikini out of the burgundy eyelash yarn. I dunno...we'll see ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The orange and green booties remind me of cantaloupes. I love cantaloupes and we're currently at the height of cantaloupe season. I'll be eating them until the first harvest of naval oranges hits the fruit stands.

What is a skein?

Hey, any more movie reviews coming down the pike? I saw "Bangkok Confidential" in Gallup, New Mexico. Have you and the husband seen it? I figure you'd guess that I'd go see a movie set in Bangkok! It was cool, although I must point out two inaccuracies:

1) The traffic jams were too pristine: no motor scooters or tuk-tuks! The streetscape of Bangkok is perpetually dominated by revving and roaring motor scooters and tuk-tuks. It wouldn't be so easy to drive between cars like the character does in the movie - there would be too many other motor scooters doing the same thing!

2) The air is so polluted it is hard to imagine that someone could be so physically active without showing signs of respiratory irritation.

But otherwise it was really neat to see ol' Bangkok. I liked the scene in the Buddhist temple. Also, lots of pretty Thai gals!

A lot of people I know dismiss Nicolas Cage. Well, I've never followed his career, so I didn't have an opinion about him one way or another, but I thought he was pretty good in this. He has a pasty, haunted look that works for the role.

Anyhow, if you get to see it, I'd be curious to read your review.

I didn't see Joana Benedek and her poofy lips on that show. I wonder how she's doing these days. I'm crazy about Altair Jarabo (Valeria on "Al Diablo Con Los Guapos"). She has a great overbite and her lips curl up in the corners and her nose is cute. Best crush since Lisette Morelos. Oh, and I'm catching overnight reruns of "Mi Pecado Es Amarte" with Yadhira Carrillo. She may be the most gorgeous telenovela actress ever, what an incredible face she's got.

Hey, you like "exotic" sounding music - ever hear of Jana, the Native American singer? I discovered one of her CDs in New Mexico. It's pretty cool stuff. She has a philanthropy called "Jana's Kids" that encourages Native American kids and offers scholarships, so it ties in with teaching and all. Her website is http://www.jananation.com. If you get a chance, go to media and then videos and watch "The Enlightened Time" video. I like it. Anyhow, I'd be curious about your opinion. Do you like the dancing in it? I think it's pretty cool.

Thanks!
-Ajay

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant navel oranges.

Thanks!
Ajay