Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Swivel Base, Where Art Thou?

This past Christmas, Timothy received a very nice electric water kettle. It's the Capresso H2O Plus. It's swank, it's modern and much better looking than the cheap plastic one we've had for several years. There are two pieces, the kettle and the accompanying swivel base that plugs into an outlet. We've used it about three times. In a mad rush to clean the apartment in time for a dinner party, I seperated the two pieces. I placed the kettle piece in the cabinet where it belongs and the swivel base...well, I cleverly hid it so that no one would be able to find it. Isn't that fun? So, it's been about a week and I still can't find it. Yay, for fun ideas!

I feel so terrible. I've looked everywhere for this thing. Timothy was so excited for his new water kettle. Finally something classy that we can leave out on display. And what do I do? I lose the piece that heats up the water. I called the company to see if I can purchase a replacement base. They said that they don't sell that part alone. They sell the kettle, but not the base. You know what the whiz-kid customer support person suggested? She said, "I think you should just have the person look and see if they can find it."


Really? Is that your suggestion? To look for it?? Okay.


I shouldn't cast stones. I'm no more of a genius than she is. I mean, I did in fact separate the two pieces. And the worst part is that as I was doing this, I remember saying to myself, "This isn't a smart thing to do."


For some reason, my hands completely ignored my brain and went off and did their own thing. After that, my mind went blank. I should try hypnosis.


Anyway, I'm still searching high and low. I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new kettle *sigh*.

1 comment:

Ajay said...

How odd that something like that would completely disappear!

What exactly is a "water kettle" used for - just boiling water or can you cook in it too? I ask because during my humble student days I had this aluminum hot pot that I not only boiled water in for my instant coffe but would actually cook in it too, like boil a cut up potato and then throw in some hot dogs. Then dump that out and heat up canned peas.

Your kettle looks much more elegant than that!

Of course now that you've bought a replacement, as you report in your next entry, I'm sure the old swivel base will turn up.

Then you'll have two elegant kettles.

-Ajay