Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Must Create Art!

So, it's been several weeks and I've tried everything I could to find that swivel base for the darn water kettle. I consulted tarot cards, read tea leaves, used a Magic-8 ball, followed a bunch of tracking dogs - the works. Nothing. I've searched high and low and there's no sign of that darn thing, so I gave up. I logged onto Amazon and bought my husband *another* water kettle. It arrived two weeks ago. The household is now at peace.

In other news, Timothy and I agreed to commit ourselves to a monthly art project. This is how it works. At the start of every month, we pick an important (or maybe not so important) piece of literature. The bigger the book the better. Then we pick a page number, any page number. We open up to that page, and then randomly point to a line on that page. Whatever sentence we land on is what we use to serve as inspiration for an art project. It can be any type of art - painting, drawing, sculpture, jewelry, knit/sewn project, woodworking, food, anything. In addition to the quote, we can also refer to the birthstone for the month in which the project is due. We can use the color, the shape and/or the meaning of the stone as added inspiration.

For the month of February, we pulled a quote from the complete works of Shakespeare. We landed on this quote, "Cleopatra, catching but the least noise of this, dies instantly." February's birthstone is amathyst.

Not bad, eh?

I already drafted my art piece in Photoshop. I'm worried that my hand-made version will not live up to it's technology generated counterpart. I drafted it in Photoshop just to quickly visualize what was just a garbled idea in my head.

If all else fails, I can just hit the print button, right? I mean, just because I did it on a computer doesn't meant that it's not art. I did in fact make it myself. It's not like I adjusted the hue and called it a day. It was actually a little more involved than that. I do of course prefer to make a hand-made version of it. So, we'll see. I'll keep you posted. I can't write updates on my progress because it's possible that Timothy may read my blog entry. So, you'll all have to wait until the end of the month to see the final product.

Guess what? I start my sewing classes this Sunday. I am very excited about this. Our project will be to sew an apron. I'm hoping I'll be able to learn the basics and then in two weeks time create my own couture dress. I'll have to map out that project plan.

Thanks for reading :)

4 comments:

cookiebees said...

Can't wait to see the finished product! Photoshop aint a bad thing...I used it to help me create my frend's watercolor portrait that is has been hanging on his wall for three years now! :) look for it in my tagged pics!

jensita said...

Cookiebees: I looked in our tagged pics. Couldn't find it. Would love to see how it turned out.

Ajay said...

What a super idea for doing art projects! I look forward to seeing your result! And how about Timothy's too?

Let's see, how did Cleopatra die? Was it by the bite of an asp or drinking poison?

Wait! Don't tell me. I have an idea...

What's on the docket for March?

Facebook, dinner parties, I bet you two are one of Manhattan's most popular couples!

All the best,
Ajay

PS - the word verification jumble right now looks like a combination of Mumtaz and Kajol. What can this mean?

jensita said...

Ajay, you are too funny. Thanks for the comments.