Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Harlequin Scarf

What do you give someone who suffers seasonal affective disorder? A bright, colorful, warm handmade knitted scarf with orange fringe, that's what! It took me about two weeks to knit, but a lot longer to finish. You know how that works. You zip through the main part of the project and then for some reason, it take weeks and weeks to sew one last stitch. C'est la vie.


But it's done. My father-in-law loves wearing crazy hats to walk the dog. His latest acquisition was a court jester hat with great colors and little tassels on the end - given to him by my husband. I felt the hat alone wasn't enough to cast away the winter blues. No. He needed an added accessory. Enter, the crazy colored harlequin knitted scarf. It was my first attempt at intarsia (knitting with chunks of color) and it was great fun.

The package was sent and delivered a few days ago. I'm hoping it's new owner will enjoy the brilliance and joy of this scarf as well as the occasional odd-ball looks he'll get from the neighbors.



Harlequin scarf - the early stages



Harlequin scarf - final product






1 comment:

Ajay said...

The scarf is cool! I showed it to my colleague who knits and she liked it! I'm sure it will chase away those winter blues. Any feedback yet from your father-in-law?

My colleague wants to knit a scarf for me. Since last Christmas. It's taken a while for me to decide what colors and pattern I'd like. I want something in the tradition of the scarves I already have, but a little new and different too. By the time I settled on a pattern, spring had arrived so we've put the project on hold. It will have some similarities to yours (folded over and with a fringe).

Are you going to post any of your sewing projects?

Hey, have you and your mom been watching any novelas lately? I was wondering if you planned on checking out the new one coming up, "Soy tu duena". With Lucero, Gaby Spanic, and your ol' fave Fernando Colungo.

I just saw that Joana Benedek is joining the cast of "Hasta que el dinero nos separe", so I'll have to check that out!

-Ajay!