Friday, March 28, 2008

Anyone Know How To Sew?

Okay, so I nixed the laptop case idea....for now. The pattern scared me and since I had to scale it down for the mini baby laptop we own, I wasn't quite sure how to go about it. So, instead I decided to work on a cabled purse that I've had my eye on. The pattern was designed by "Princess Philo" who has a set of 5 patterns from which to choose. My favorite is the "Kelly" bag, so I decided to get started on that one right away. The pattern is fairly easy once you find your rhythm. The bag is cute and small so, it only took about two days to finish the knitting part. Then I realized, uggh. I need to make a lining for this, don't I?

Okay, a lining, a lining. That can't be too hard. Just sew up the sides and attach it to the bag. Ah yes, minor detail. I don't know how to sew. So, off I went to the library and took out books on sewing. I'll also jump on all the youtube videos I can find. In theory, I know what needs to be done, but I don't want it to look like I stitched it up with my feet, you know what mean? I want it to look professional.

So, as soon as I find the time to learn yet another craft, my Kelly bag will be sitting in the closet. Until then enjoy some pictures of the bag in progress. Sorry about the changes in lighting. Took the pictures on completely different days in completely different rooms.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're making such great progress with your knitting!

Speaking of bags and such, my knitting colleague told me about the bag she made for her knitting gear. She made it by "felting", I think that's the term she use. She knitted the bag with wool yarn, then put it in a washer along with some tennis shoes so it would shrink and get banged up. The result was a smooth, felt-like material, like some sweaters you see. Do you know of this technique? Are you going to give it a try some day?

Hey, how are the telenovelas going? Are you still watching Amas de Casa Desperadas?

-Ajay

jensita said...

Yep, I know about felting. Haven't had any desire to do felting. Who knows in the future.

As far as Amas de Casa, I'm a little behind in my episodes. Need to play catch-up on the DVR.

Anonymous said...

I guess I should report that I've fallen victim to Al Diablo Con Los Guapos. I have my reasons. Maybe I will share them if you want.

Hey, my knitting colleague will be returning to New York with her kids' high school choir, whose trips she always accompanies as chaperon. Anyhow, she wanted me to ask if there are any knitting hot spots or super stores in Manhattan.

Thanks!
-Ajay

jensita said...

Hi Ajay! As far as knitting superstores in Manhattan...I WISH! No, only small shops, but definitely worth visiting. Here's a good list: http://www.nyccrochetguild.org/ResourceFile/YarnStores.html.

Also, if you google "yarn stores nyc", you'll get a map with pictures.