Monday, February 4, 2008

General Tso's Hat

I came across a fairly easy pattern for a ribbed hat from figandplum.com. After reading the pattern, I was fairly confident I could throw this little baby together. However, I was thrown for a loop when there was mention of six double sided needles. SIX?? I've seen packages of four and five, but SIX?? Luckily, the package I bought came with five. So now I was on the hunt for a sixth. Where to go...where to go. I wasn't about to go out and buy another one. No, that would make too much sense. Where to go...where to go.

[insert flash back of hubby making jokes about my needles]

"Those look like sharpened chopsticks."

Hmmm. Not a bad idea. I went to the kitchen and looked for our wooden chopsticks. Found 'em! Okay, I was all set. Five double sided needles and a chopstick. I was ready to rock-n-roll.


I started the first round and finally the chopstick came up on it's turn. It was somewhat difficult to use because it was so pointy at the end. The size difference from point to end was a little too drastic which made the process a big challenge. I quickly remembered we had another set of chopsticks that were practically identical to my needles and decided to give 'em a try. Much better!

So here I was knitting away with five needles and an eat
ing utensil.

I still have a ways to go, but not bad for my first real hat.



Oh, and as a follow up, just thought I'd mention that Pooh Bear is about four inches tall. Apparently, the photos from Monday's entry were a little misleading. Yes, Pooh is small enough to fit in your pocket, which makes my previous attempt at making a hat a little less monumental.

Ski Hat Deadline: 10 days remaining



No comments: