Friday, February 1, 2008

Presidents' Day Hat and eBay Wars

So, the plan is to go skiing on Presidents' Day weekend. At the moment, I have no hat appropriate for skiing. Currently, I have a Yankees cap given to me for free at The Stadium with a big ol' Verizon logo slapped on the back and another hat that's one size too big. Not a very impressive inventory.

With that said, I have two weeks to knit something up. I'm sure I can do it. I think. Let's see, what do we know? I can knit in the round. I can knit green yarn. I can make pointy hats for tiny heads. Not much to go on. I should get a move on it, then.

Wasn't sure if I should settle for a warm headband or a full on hat. Seeing as I have two weeks, I'll go for the hat. If there's time, maybe the band.

I'm excited to get started on my project(s).


In other knitting news, I just bid on a set of 13 nine-inch bamboo needles. There were 0 bids until six minutes before the auction was over. Man, I thought for sure no one would bid. Then I figured I would wait until the last 15 seconds. Two minutes left, no additional bidders. One minute left, nothing. The countdown began. 30 seconds, 25 seconds, 20 seconds. I was getting nervous. Heart was pumping, blood was rushing, hands were sweaty. eBay does this to me every time. One day I'll find out that I have congestive heart failure due to incessant eBay use. I have to learn to relax. Maybe put on some Enya.

Anyway, at 16 seconds I put in the bid, hit the button and was the top bidder with 8 seconds left. I bit the corner of my lower lip, hit the refresh button and BAM! The item was mine! In your FACE brnzgirl88!*

So now I'm the happy owner of 13 bamboo knitting needles. Just got confirmation that they were shipped out today. Woo-hoo!


*Identity has been changed to protect the weak and the sloooow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the knitting progress! I liked your thug hat, it looks good on Pooh, a very notorious thug.

This all just boggles my mind, as I've never even held knitting needles in my hand. I can sew a button on, that's it for me. What's a cable stitch?

So, bamboo knitting needles are the thing? I'll remember that if I go back to Thailand next year. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Heh-heh, I'm seeing an interesting pattern here - board game victories, eBay bidding wars...I'm sensing ruthless competitor here!

Concerning your existing hat wardrobe: are you a Yankees fan, then? Are you also a Giants fan? If so, congrats on the Super Bowl!

Have fun making your ski trip hat!

-Ajay

jensita said...

Bamboo needles from Thailand would be fantastic!

Go Giants.

Anonymous said...

The Yankees suck...Let's Go Mets! I'll buy a new Mets hat if you'll wear it. :O