Monday, January 28, 2008

Ding, Ding, Ding! Round 1

I didn't think it could be done. I was always on the straight and narrow with my knitting. Making scarves, test swatches and rectangular pieces with different stitching. But on Friday night, it happened. I, Jensita, can now knit in the round. I can knit in the round!

At first it was a complete disaster. I was using double-sided needles that were flinging in every which direction. I found instructions in my books, which weren't at all helpful. Once again, I turned to the always reliable YouTube. I found a couple of videos that were a little more useful and also found one on KnittingHelp.com (those are great).

I was almost there, but was having trouble understanding which way to turn the needles. Keep in mind that I'm using 4 needles at the same time. What a mess! But that's how it's done, 4 needles, well, without the mess of course.

I started for a bit, then dagnammit, one of the needles flew off. Started again for a couple of rounds, botched some of the stitching, then unraveled it. Started again, was off to what looked like a good start, mucked it up and started all over. The hubby went down to the gym after I had knit about a good 4 rounds. But once again, frustration got the better of me and I was forced to unravel. He came back after 40 minutes, looked at my work, tilted his head slightly to the right and said, "Didn't you have more than that before I left?"

"Yes, you're very smart, shut up." [thought she, in a loving manner.]

After the next try, logic hit me like a bolt of lightening. All of sudden everything started to make sense. It all fell into place. I kept knitting and knitting and knitting. Slowly but surely a shape started to emerge. It was ROUND baby! It was ROUND!






I then thought I could improvise a little by learning how to decrease stitches. I picked up the needles and continued on my way. As I stitched, it started to look like a cute little pointed hat. Just the perfect size for Pooh. So now Pooh Bear is ready for winter!







Honestly?...I think he looks like a thug.



Next stop: Hats for real people.




No comments: